Preparing to rent your first apartment? Or maybe it’s been a long time since you leased one, and now you’re going through the process again. Here’s what you should to know about how to rent an apartment in Greenwood, from determining your budget to selecting the best apartment and filling out the application.
How Much Can You Afford?
What you need to do at the very beginning is determine what you can afford. You wouldn’t want to go crazy about a floor plan only to realize it’s totally outside your range. Examine your budget prior to checking out that incredible two-bedroom unit with a view of the lake. Here are some recommendations to help you get started.
- Review your net income - the amount you have after taxes - and take away your current bills (car payments, credit cards, etc.).
- Plan for unexpected charges like auto repairs and urgent care appointments. As a general rule, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Estimate costs at your new place, such as utilities and groceries. If you need a place to start, assign $250 per month for both.
- How commonly do you enjoy a night out? Project your dining and entertainment costs per month.
- What do you have remaining? This total is what you may allocate for rent. This is the right time to decide if you might want a roommate.
Finding The Right Apartment In Greenwood
Exploring different communities and floor plans can be exciting but also demanding of your time. Make certain you provide yourself enough time to search around - at least two or three months. Your first step is to determine the general area. How close do you need to be to your job or school? Are you trying to find something downtown or in the suburbs? Is there shopping and nightlife close by? Choosing a specific location will save you a lot of time.
You probably already know how many bedrooms you’ll require, so you can concentrate on selecting your favorite floor plan. Then, you should consider what amenities you would like. Is a fitness center or pool non-negotiable? Do you have to have a pet-friendly community with a dog park? Answering these types of questions will narrow down the possibilities.
What To Expect In The Application Process
Once you’ve picked out an apartment, you must conclude the application process. You should be ready with photo identification, evidence of income, and some references. You’ll usually have to pay an application fee to cover credit and background checks. If you intend to use a co-signer, let the leasing agent know early in the process, as they may not be permitted.
Your application process will generally involve the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Fill out an application form
- Prepare for background and credit checks
- Sign the agreement
On the actual application form, you can plan to show the following information:
- Name, email, phone number, and current address
- Occupation and income
- Previous address(es)
- Dogs or other pets (if applicable)
- Contacts in case of emergency
- References - you may be asked to supply former landlords or personal and professional references
Come Home To The Ideal Apartment At Bayshore Apartments
Renting an apartment in Greenwood is easy at Bayshore Apartments. We boast a wide choice of amenities and floor plans to fit your lifestyle. Request a tour to discover our property or call 317-886-1849 to talk with one of our friendly leasing representatives about how to rent one of our apartments in Greenwood.